As Fairhaven’s Broadband Study Committee, we have made it a key priority to research the feasibility of establishing local control of this essential infrastructure. The goals of the committee for this project include the following:
1. Lower the cost of internet access by 25%–30% for residents and businesses.
2. Significantly increase the speed and reliability of internet access.
3. Increase competition and give residents multiple options for ISPs on demand in real time.
4. Build a state-of-the-art network that will improve economic development and foster innovation.
5. Leverage the network to improve the services provided in the town including public safety, transportation, healthcare, education, emergency communications, and new services that will become possible with advanced network infrastructure.
The unfortunate reality is that the current dominant internet access model in our country is one where network operators build closed proprietary systems that are designed to maximize profit. Alternatively, construction of a Fairhaven Broadband Network utility seeks to maximize value and lower costs through competition.
We are inviting Fairhaven residents to take the Fairhaven Broadband Survey 8 simple questions, takes less than 3 minutes Please visit www.connectfairhaven.com to learn more and take the survey.
Support local journalism, donate to the Neighb News with PayPal.
Click here to download the entire 9/17/20 issue: 09-17-20 School1stDay